Sometimes life becomes a never ending cycle of our daily tasks. Before the day gets started, I’m usually reading a devotional prayer sent to me by one of my friends or giving God thanks for just being alive. Recently, I’ve been focused on everything that is not going right in my life, a lot more than I need to, and on yesterday I felt the need to jot down some very simple things that I am thankful for.
- I’m thankful for life and a sound mind…well most of the time I have a sound mind but I’m the only female in a majority male household so you know what I mean. Sometimes though, I’m a ball of emotions that have been building up over time and just waiting to burst. Like many, I struggle with managing them. Yes, I am a big cry baby and I wish I had it all together like some moms I see, but I don’t. I’m flawed and I’m just trying to stay strong for myself and my boys, so on some days, not many, but on some days I feel like I can take on the world or one of baby boy’s tantrums. For the most part, I am able to handle it and I am thankful for those days. To hell with the rest of the days, I’m human.
- I’m thankful for learning more about who I am. Everyday, I uncover some new aspect about who I truly am. Some views I held when I was younger, I’ve now found that I don’t agree with any longer. At first, I thought I was betraying myself, but turns out, I was just evolving.
I’m thankful for my family and true friends. You will read about how much I love my family quite often in my posts. That’s because I really love them. They’re the most supportive group you’ll ever meet. There’s nothing that I can’t count on them for, and I am so blessed to have them.
- I am thankful for coffee. Panera Bread Hazelnut, to be exact. One of my old bosses turned me onto this and I’ve been a fan ever since. You nave to try for yourself, but I won’t buy any other coffe. Thank God for coffee.
- I am thankful for comfortable bras. As a woman that has had three children and over the age of 35, my metabolism has started to slow down and I am seeing the results of my poor eating habits a little. Nothing irritates me more than an uncomfortable bra. Ladies, you all know what I’m talking about. No self-loving woman wants to wear one anyway, but since society tells us that we should, we should definitely wear one that fits correctly and is comfortable. I still have one remaining comfortable bra so needless to say, a sistah needs to go bra shopping.
- I am thankful for fuzzy socks. I know, I’m corny, but whatevs. With the right pair of yoga pants, because jeans are so restrictive, and a pair of fuzzy socks, I can drink a good cup of my Panera Bread coffee and really enjoy myself.
- Finally, I am thankful for brief moments that I have alone. Now with three kids, it is a rare treat for me, but when I am able to achieve this level of bliss, I take full advantage of it by louning around in joga pants, fuzzy socks, and drinking coffee. Very little housework gets done, phone calls and texts go unanswered. I love these rare moments.
Sometimes, just taking the time out to appreciate small things helps to keep you centered in our busy lives.